This short walkthrough describes how to get the latest linux kernel working under Ubuntu Linux without having to compile it yourself.
This tutorial should work with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux (9.10) and all distributions based on Ubuntu Linux like Mint.
The included kernel files have been compiled using the generic ubuntu configuration.
Note: nVIDIA ForceWare drivers are automatically installed using DKMS (which is included in Ubuntu 8.10 and higher including 9.04 and 9.10)
And in case you don`t want to reboot you should try out Ksplice.
- Download linux-headers-2.6.33-020633_2.6.33-020633_all.deb
- Download your kernel headers package;
- Download your kernel compile;
- Install the files in the same (else it won`t work!)
- In the terminal run:
- Reboot and select the kernel from the bootloader menu
For those who want to do their “own” compiles, the source is available here.