This short walkthrough describes how to install the Ubuntu Linux Kernel 4.2 (server and desktop/client) without compiling.
This guide should work with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux and most Ubuntu-based distributions including Mint. The included kernel files have been compiled using the generic Ubuntu configuration. The general packages are available for 32 bits systems (I386+) and 64 bits (AMD64). I will not provide low latency versions or ARMHF this time.
Installation Guide (GUI)
- Download the kernel headers package:
- And the appropriate package for your system
- And the accompanying compiled kernel image
- Install the files in the same order as downloaded above. So first install the headers (2 files) and finally the image (1 file).
- In the terminal run:
- Reboot and select the kernel from the bootloader menu
I will post the latest version of the 4.2 branch and 4.3 release candidates in comments below.