This installation guide describes how to install Linux Kernel 4.17 on Ubuntu Linux. This works with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux and most Ubuntu-based distributions including Kubuntu and Mint.
The included kernel files have been compiled using the generic Ubuntu configuration. A low latency version is also available in the directory of the linked files.
This post is an update of “Ubuntu Linux kernel 4.16 installation guide“
The files can be found at kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.17/
Installation Guide (GUI)
- Download the kernel headers package:
- And the appropriate headers package for your system (choose yours)
- And the kernel image (choose yours)
- Install the files in the same order as downloaded above. So first install the headers (generic and CPU) and finally the image (1 file).
- In the terminal run:
- Reboot and select the kernel from the bootloader menu