This installation guide should work with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux and most Ubuntu-based distributions including Kubuntu and Mint. The included kernel files have been compiled using the generic Ubuntu configuration. A low latency version is also available in the directory of the linked files.
The files can be found at http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.9/
Installation Guide (GUI)
- Download the kernel headers package:
- And the appropriate headers package for your system (choose yours)
- And the kernel image (choose yours)
- Install the files in the same order as downloaded above. So first install the headers (generic and CPU) and finally the image (1 file).
- In the terminal run:
- Reboot and select the kernel from the bootloader menu
I will post the latest version of the 4.8 branch and 4.9 release candidates in comments below.