The Joomla! 1.5 Top Extensions Cookbook is one of Packt Publishing’s cookbook series meaning that it contains recipes. This book contains over 80 different recipes to use extensions to add maps, image galleries, slideshows, audio and video players, security, forums, shopping cart, guestbook and other functionalities to your site. Each recipe is a articles with an idea and how to work it out (step by step), just like a regular cookbook.
Joomla! is an open-source award-winning PHP/MySQL based content management system (CMS). Since its available under the GPL license it`s free to download, modify and use it for your website.
This book is written for Joomla! 1.5 users without programming or webdesign knowledge. Basic knowledge of setting it up is recommended.
For basic Joomla! Knowledge I can recommend Joomla! 1.5 Cookbook which I reviewed earlier: Joomla! 1.5 Cookbook review.
Most of the content of this book is also valid for Joomla! 1.6, although not all extensions will work fine. The same counts for users of PHP 5.3.
Continue reading “Joomla! 1.5 Top Extensions Cookbook review”
The following guide demonstrates how to install Apache Webserver 2.2, PHP 5.3, MySQL Server 5.1 (Community Edition) and Perl (without mod_perl).
sudo yum install -y httpd php php-pear mysql mysql-server perl php-common php-dba php-pdo php-mysql php-xml php-xmlrpc
Then start Apache HTTPD and MySQL Server:
sudo /etc/init.d/mysqld start
sudo /etc/init.d/httpd start
And make sure it`s always loaded on startup:
sudo chkconfig --level 2345 httpd on
sudo chkconfig --level 2345 mysqld on
This short walkthrough describes how to get the latest linux kernel working under Ubuntu Linux without having to compile it yourself.
This tutorial should work with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux (10.04 LTS, 10.10, 11.04) and most distributions based on these versions of Ubuntu Linux like Mint.
The included kernel files have been compiled using the generic ubuntu configuration.
Note: nVIDIA ForceWare drivers are automatically installed using DKMS, if you have these installed and up-to-date.
- Download the kernel headers package;
- And the appropriate package for your system
- And the accompanying compiled kernel;
- Install the files in the same order (else it won`t work!)
- In the terminal run:
- Reboot and select the kernel from the bootloader menu
If it`s not there check all steps (and of course errors)
The source? www.kernel.org
The following guide demonstrates how to install Apache 2.2, PHP 5.3 and MySQL 5.1 in OpenSuSE linux version 11.4.
I will not guide you through the installationsteps, so I start after booting the machine and logging in.
You have to be logged in as root (using the sudo command).
By entering the following code into the commandline you install MySQL, Apache, PHP and the basic/required third party modules.
yast2 -i mysql mysql-community-server mysql-client perl-DBD-mysql perl-DBI perl-Data-ShowTable
chkconfig --add mysql
yast2 -i apache2 apache2-devel apache2-mod_perl apache2-mod_php5 apache2-prefork perl-HTML-Parser perl-URI perl-libwww-perl php5 php5-devel zlib zlib-devel
yast2 -i ImageMagick curl
yast2 -i php5-bcmath php5-bz2 php5-calendar php5-ctype php5-curl php5-dom php5-ftp php5-gd php5-gettext php5-gmp php5-iconv php5-imap php5-ldap php5-mbstring php5-mcrypt php5-mysql php5-odbc php5-openssl php5-pcntl php5-pgsql php5-posix php5-shmop php5-snmp php5-soap php5-sockets php5-sqlite php5-sysvsem php5-tokenizer php5-wddx php5-xmlrpc php5-xsl php5-zlib php5-exif php5-fastcgi php5-pear php5-sysvmsg php5-sysvshm
chkconfig --add apache2
This month im going to review another book; Joomla! 1.5 Top Extensions Cookbook by Packt Publishing. The review will be published on this site, like always.
The Joomla! 1.5 Top Extensions Cookbook is one of Packt Publishing’s cookbook series meaning that it contains recipes. This book contains over 80 different recipes to use extensions to add maps, image galleries, slideshows, audio and video players, security, forums, shopping cart, guestbook and other functionalities to your site. Each recipe is a small articles/paragraphs with an idea and how to work it out, just like a regular cookbook.
What you will learn from this book :
- Implement access control list by creating groups and assigning permissions to groups
- Create backups that can be restored on any other Joomla! site and relocate a site to another server without any hassle.
- Add an Ajax contact form with custom fields using AiContactSafe extension and add Ajax search to Joomla! site using PixSearch extension.
- Import hundreds of users from a CSV file enabling them to log in without registering themselves using UserPort extension
- Integrate phpBB with Joomla! so that users from phpBB can access Joomla! and vice versa without further registration and by a single login using JFusion extension
- Send tweets automatically upon publishing articles in Joomla!
- Add project management functionalities to your Joomla!-based sites and get notified about new contents from time to time (for subscribers)
- Add attachment to an article in a much easier way using Attachment plugin
- Build a document repository for Joomla! using DOCMan extension for sharing files through your site or if you want to provide downloads
- Add a Google Map in content articles to find your place.using Google Maps plugin
- Display PDF documents inside Joomla! content items using Embed PDF plugin
- Watch your visitors in real-time using JoomlaWatch extension
- Improve banner ads on your site and add classified ads to Joomla! Site
- Use Google Adsense with Joomla! contents
- Preview the page on which you just altered the contents instead of preview button taking you to home page by default
For more information I recommend that you visit the official book page at www.packtpub.com/joomla-1-5-top-extensions-cookbook/book