Sun released the MySQL Connector for OpenOffice.org version 1.0. This first general availability release.
The driver can be used in OpenOffice.org 3.1.1 and the upcoming OpenOffice.org 3.2 to connect to a MySQL server, versions 5.1+ server.
When using the MySQL Connector for OpenOffice.org, you have the following advantages over using the MySQL Connector/ODBC or MySQL Connector/J:
- Easy installation through the OpenOffice.org Extension Manager
- Seamless integration into OpenOffice.org
- Work on multiple MySQL schemata (databases) simultaneously
- Connect to MySQL servers using named pipes (Windows) or Sockets (Unix)
- No need to go through an additional Connector installation routine (ODBC/JDBC)
- No need to configure or register an additional connector (ODBC)
- No need to install or configure a driver manager (ODBC)
- No need for a Java Runtime Environment (JDBC)
The extension (for Windows, Linux, Mac OS X and Solaris) can be found at extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/mysql_connector