Packt Publishing celebrates their 10th anniversary this month. To celebrate this milestone Packt is offering all of its eBooks and Videos at just $10 each for 10 days starting from June 26th.
During this 10 year Packt has published over 2000 titles and donated $400.000 to the open source community through its Open Source Project Royalty Scheme.
Dave Maclean, Managing Director explains ‘From our very first book published back in 2004, we’ve always focused on giving IT professionals the actionable knowledge they need to get the job done. As we look forward to the next 10 years, everything we do here at Packt will focus on helping those IT professionals, and the wider world, put software to work in innovative new ways.
We’re very excited to take our customers on this new journey with us, and we would like to thank them for coming this far with this special 10-day celebration, when we’ll be opening up our comprehensive range of titles for $10 each.
If you’ve already tried a Packt title in the past, you’ll know this is a great opportunity to explore what’s new and maintain your personal and professional development. If you’re new to Packt, then now is the time to try our extensive range – we’re confident that in our 2000+ titles you’ll find the knowledge you really need , whether that’s specific learning on an emerging technology or the key skills to keep you ahead of the competition in more established tech.’
For more information visit www.packtpub.com/10years
Today Packt Publishing celebrates their 2000th title “Learning Dart” with a huge discount offer this week: Buy One, Get One Free. For every eBook you buy you will get one for free! This offer is valid for all eBooks. Bit hurry, the offer is valid from 18 March 2014 until 26 March 2014.
Just have a look at the top selling books from Packt’s catalogue:
My personal selection for this offer is:
Packt Publishing just informed me today that, like last year, they have a spectacular sale on eBooks this December 2013 !
From December 19th, customers will be able to get any eBook or Video from Packt for just $5. This sale covers every title in the 1700+ range and customers can grab as many as they like until January 3rd 2014 – more information is available at This offer covers a myriad of titles in the 1700+ range where customers will be able to grab as many as they like until January 3rd 2014
May I recommend the following books, which I`ve reviewed on this blog;
Inkscape is an open source vector graphics editor with an intuitive user interface that has enough depth to make quality graphic designs with an attractive layout comparable to what you would make using Illustrator or CorelDraw. But choosing the right tool and the best approach to creating the desired effect can be challenging. Inkscape 0.48 Illustrator’s Cookbook makes it super-easy for you to make your own vector-based graphics with the powerful Inkscape editor.
Inkscape 0.48 Illustrator’s Cookbook provides you with the latest recipes to quickly create scalable vector graphics. Recipes in this book teach you about some of the most useful time-saving features in Inkscape accompanied by a list of keyboard shortcuts that you can easily memorize. In addition to covering use of Inkscape tools and their advanced features, examples from the recipes uncover solutions to common graphics problems.
The book starts off with familiarizing you with the tools and techniques in Inkscape that you can use to draw 2D shapes, calligraphic shapes, and 3D boxes easily. It then guides you through the most common color-changing steps performed in Inkscape along with some convenient procedures that can save your time when dealing with colors. It explains drawing using linear and radial gradients, which are irreplaceable, usage of clones to create interesting effects in illustrations, and live-path effects that can help you speed up constructing a shape and make the process more natural. You will learn how to make those tweaks on some of the ready-made filters, and in the final recipe we will create a filter from scratch. This practical book also contains recipes showing how to use Inkscape as a raster editor and how to achieve photo-realistic effects in Inkscape. For each important technique and skill, you’ll see some simple recipes, then some more advanced recipes followed by an explanation of how Inkscape works to produce the desired effects in your illustrations.
By the end of this book you will be confident enough to create your own vector-based graphics with Inkscape.
Get solutions to common graphic problems to achieve photo-realistic effects with Inkscape
What you will learn from this book :
- Introduce you to the fascinating world of two-dimensional, calligraphic, and three-dimensional objects, using the Inkscape’s powerful tools
- Assist you in adjusting color using hue, brightness, saturation, and stroke width, until you find the perfect look and feel
- Guide you in recreating iconic images from cult movies, with the help of gradient colors and complex vector shapes
- Leverage Inkscape 0.48’s advanced path editing tools and techniques, producing great looking text and beautiful drawings
- Help you produce professional looking posters, calendars, and wallpapers, packaging them so you can print or share them on the Internet
- Illustrate the spectacular, and often surprising, effects of the many extensions and image filters found in version 0.48
- Teach you to develop a standards-compliant and gorgeous looking Web 2.0 site layout, complete with widgets and buttons
- Help you design and build your very own HTML5 and AJAX powered web games, presentations, and business applications, using JQuery powered SVG animation
- Aid you in extending Inkscape by writing your own plugins in the Python programming language
For more information, visit www.packtpub.com/inkscape-048-illustrators-cookbook/book
The famous dutch Joomla expert Eric Tiggeler has written a book about Joomla! 1.6 called Joomla! 1.6 First Look. The book got releases last month and I will be reviewing it this month.
Joomla! 1.6 First Look is a concise guide to the new features of Joomla! 1.6, targeted at existing Joomla! (1.0 and 1.5) users and developers. The book guides readers through topics like upgrading, new features and changes.
What you will learn from this book:
- General changes to the Joomla! interface and the practical effects this has on creating and maintaining sites with Joomla!
- Changes in Joomla! 1.6 that affect the day to day routine of organizing, adding and editing articles
- Changes in menus, that make it easier to manage menus and add new menu items fast
- Access Control Levels relevant to website administrators in need of fine grained user permissions control
- What’s new in selecting, using and editing templates
- New extensions overhauled in Joomla! 1.6
- New SEO features to enhance your site’s SEO
- Language : English
- Paperback : 236 pages [ 235mm x 191mm ]
- Release Date : March 2011
- ISBN : 1849513422
- ISBN 13 : 978-1-84951-342-5
- Author(s) : Eric Tiggeler