This short walkthrough describes how to get the linux kernel version 3.8 (latest at the moment of writing) working under Ubuntu Linux without having to compile it yourself.
This guide should work with the latest version of Ubuntu Linux and most Ubuntu-based distributions including Mint. The included kernel files have been compiled using the generic Ubuntu configuration.
- Download the kernel headers package;
- And the appropriate package for your system
- And the accompanying compiled kernel image;
- Extra files;
- Install the files in the same order as downloaded above.
- In the terminal run:
- Reboot and select the kernel from the bootloader menu
The source can be found on www.kernel.org